Chemical PeelingOur skin is the most sensitive organ and it needs an extra care to prevent damages. It takes a lot of time to get the normal skin back. A chemical peel is a method, which helps us to get a fresh, smooth and glowing skin.
Skin is a dynamic organ. Every day cells divide in the deep layer of the skin and migrate to the superficial layer called the epidermis. As new cells grow, old cells slough off from the epidermis. Chemical peels involve the application of a chemical solution to the face which causes an accelerated form of exfoliation of these dead cells. Chemical peels work by removing different layers of the skin allowing damaged cells to be removed and replaced by fresher new skin during healing.
Usually a series of peels are required to achieve significant results. At the ELEGANCE SKIN AND COSMETIC CLINIC careful patient selection, counseling and post procedure care have shown chemical peeling to be a highly useful modality.
What is chemical peeling?Chemical peeling is application of a solution/gel on the treatment area for a particular time period. It is an office procedure. It does not require any hospitalization. After properly studying the skin type and its sensitivity, the dermatologist decides on the type of peeling agent and their concentration.
The skin is first cleansed. The peeling agent is then applied gently onto the lesion or on the full face till the 'end point' is achieved. During or shortly after the procedure, the patient might experience warmth or stinging sensation for a few minutes. the procedure can be repeated after 2-3weeks.
A series of 3-4 peels over 3-4 months may be necessary to achieve the desired results.
What are the different types of peeling?There are many different peels available. Facial peels are divided into superficial, medium and deep.
Very superficial peels, such as the ones performed by beauticians, only remove the top layer of dead skin cells and thus usually only have a short period of minor cosmetic benefit.
Stronger superficial peels and medium to deep peels performed by doctors, usually result in a noticeable improvement in textural irregularities, uneven pigment such as 'age spots' and freckling, deeper wrinkles, some types of acne scaring.
The deeper the peel the greater and more long-lasting the benefits are especially for deeper wrinkles, however the deeper the peel, the longer the recovery time.
Glycolic acid peel:It is an Alpha hydroxy peel. It is derived from sugarcane extract. It is done to remove blemishes and superficial acne scars, also to give an even skin tone.It is also used as an anti-aging peel since it stimulates collagen thus reduces and prevents fine lines & wrinkles.
Lactic acid peel:
- AHA from fermented milk
- Helps maintain skin pH and also useful in adjusting the pH of formulations
- Moisturizes skin as is the skin's own natural moisturizer
- Done in those people who have acne or pigmentation but have a sensitive skin
Arginine peel:Derived from Brown sugar and used to treat dark circles
Kojic-Acid peel:Produced by mushrooms of family Aspergillus and Penicillium it is done to give Glow to skin, Reduces blemishes & pigmentation
Beta hydroxy peel:Salicylic acid peel done for acne ( whiteheads& blackheads).
Obagi blue peel:Trichloroacetic acid peel : should be done with extreme caution by a dermatologist.done to reduce pigmentation & fine lines.
Cosmelan peel:It is is a whitening peel. to be done by a professional
Yellow peel:Vitamin A peel done for skin lightening and brightening.
Black peel:Excellent for acne which doesn't respond to conventional medical treatments.
Nomelan peel:Done to treat increased pigmentation.
Advantages of peel:
- Safe office procedure
- Easy availability
- Easy to use
- Compliments the drug therapy & brings about faster
- therapeutic effect thus reducing the downtime to treatment
- Excellent cosmetic results
At the initial consult, after a comprehensive assessment, we will choose the right peel that suits your skin and is tailored for your schedule.
This new generation of peels allow treatments to be individually tailored to skin type and age rather than the one type fits all acid peels previously offered.
Post treatment care:
- After a superficial peel, it is common to experience some temporary flaking or scaling, redness and dryness of the skin. However, these conditions will disappear as the skin adjusts to treatment. There is no downtime and you can resume your normal activities immediately. It is also possible to have a lunch time peel with superficial peels, the temporary redness, flaking and dryness that you experience will not prevent you from working or engaging in your normal activities. However, protecting your skin from the sun is also important following these mild acid peels. Ask your doctor to recommend a sunblock with adequate UVA and UVB protection and use it every day.
- After a medium-depth peel, you may feel a tingling or throbbing sensation. The mild discomfort you may experience will subside within the first week. More flaking and scaling is seen on the treated area than a superficial peel and this may last for 4 - 7 days, depending on the strength of the peel used. In about a week to ten days, your new skin will be apparent. It is best to avoid sun exposure unless you are adequately protected. During this time, it is especially important that you use a sunblock or blotchy, irregular skin colouring may result.
Medium-depth peels involve the application Trichloroacetic acid (TCA), used in different concentrations. The results of TCA peel are usually more dramatic than those of a superficial peel.
TCA peels in higher concentrations may result in aggressive exfoliation which restricts a person's activity for about 5-7 days and ideally can been performed over the weekend ("weekend peel") Nevertheless, your skin will eventually be awakened, looking smooth and even